Sandboarding in Israel's Hidden Gems
When one thinks of Israel, images of historical sites, vibrant cities, and religious landmarks often come to mind. However, tucked away in the southern reaches of this diverse country lies a thrilling adventure waiting to be discovered – sandboarding. As you traverse the vast desert landscapes, prepare to swap your snowboard for a sandboard, and ride the dunes like a daring nomad. In this article, we uncover the best sandboarding locations in Israel and explore the costs of this adrenaline-pumping desert activity.
THE BEST SANDBOARDING LOCATIONS IN ISRAEL
1. Negev Desert - Negev Sands- The Negev Desert, a mesmerizing expanse of sand and ancient wonders, serves as the ultimate playground for sandboarding enthusiasts. Within the Negev, the Negev Sands area near the Ramon Crater and Ashelim Electric station stands out as a prime location for sandboarding. The towering dunes and virgin sands offer a thrilling challenge and breathtaking views of the unique desert landscape. Whether you're a seasoned sandboarding or a beginner eager to try something new, the Negev Sands will undoubtedly leave you with unforgettable memories. I love combining the experience with jeep tours, hiking the Ramon Crater, and excellent local restaurants in the region.
2. Judean Desert - Nof Zuqim- Venturing eastward, the Judean Desert reveals its hidden gem – Nof Zuqim. Nestled along the Dead Sea's shores, Nof Zuqim's colossal dunes beckon thrill-seekers to ride their slopes. The combination of desert terrain and the shimmering waters of the Dead Sea in the backdrop creates an awe-inspiring ambiance, making Nof Zuqim a must-visit destination for sandboarding enthusiasts. Don't forget to dip in the Dead Sea and visit Masada national park!
3. Western Negev - Ashkelon Sand Dunes- For those seeking a sandboarding experience closer to the Mediterranean coast, the Ashkelon Sand Dunes offer an exciting adventure. These dunes, located in the Western Negev, present an ideal opportunity to combine sandboarding with a day at the beach. After riding down the sandy slopes, take a refreshing dip in the Mediterranean waters to complete your desert-beach escapade. another unique experience Is touring the Gaza Strip to learn about the Iron Dome and the Kibbutzim of the area.
COSTS OF SANDBOARDING IN ISRAEL
1. Equipment Rental
If you're new to sandboarding, don't be afraid, as equipment rental is readily available at the various sandboarding locations so you don't have to bring yours. The average cost of renting a sandboard can range from 30 to 80 Israeli Shekels (ILS) per hour (approximately $13 to USD 22). The rental fee typically includes the sandboard, insurance, and wax treatment for optimal gliding. Never use a provider who doesn't have a license and insurance! there are many pirate providers so make sure you won't fall into the trap!
2. Guided Tours:
For a more comprehensive sandboarding experience, consider joining a guided tour of the regions mentioned above. Guided tours often include transportation to and from the sandboarding location, equipment rental, and the expertise of experienced guides who know the best spots for sandboarding fun. The cost of guided tours can range from 150 to 300 ILS (approximately $45 to USD 90) per person, depending on the tour's duration and inclusions. the best option is to hire a private tour guide, tour the area, and combine the sand surfing, this way you won't have to drive a long distance just to sand surf but fully maximize the touring day!
3. Private Lessons:
If you want to enhance your sandboarding skills in Israel, private lessons with certified instructors in the locations mentioned above will be a great option. Private lessons offer personalized guidance and tips to help you conquer the dunes with finesse. The cost of a one-hour private lesson can range from 250 to 450 ILS (approximately $70 to USD 130), depending on the instructor's experience and the location. My favorite place is Dror Bamidbar
4. Safety Tips:
As with any adventure sport, safety should be a top priority when sandboarding. Here are some essential safety tips to keep in mind:
- Wear appropriate attire, including closed-toe shoes and sunglasses to protect your feet and eyes from the sand.
- Apply sunscreen generously to shield your skin from the desert sun.
- Stay hydrated by carrying sufficient water with you during your sandboarding expedition.
- Listen to instructions provided by guides or instructors, especially if you're new to sandboarding.
- Choose appropriate dunes for your skill level, and avoid attempting steep or dangerous slopes without guidance.
BEST SANDBOARDING PROVIDERS IN ISRAEL
1. Desert Eco Tours: Based in the Negev Desert, Desert Eco Tours is a renowned provider of various desert adventures, including sand Boarding. They offer guided Boarding tours in the Negev Sands area near the Ramon Crater, providing equipment and expert guidance for an exhilarating experience. This provider is good if you stay overnight in the region of the Negev and the Ramon Crater, from the center or Jerusalem this is not a good option.
2. Nof Zuqim: Located in the Judean Desert near the Dead Sea, Nof Zuqim is a popular destination for sandboarding and sand surfing. They offer rentals of sandboards and other equipment, making it accessible for visitors to try this thrilling activity on their own. They are a good option if you tour the Dead Sea area and if you stay overnight at Ein Bokek Dead Sea.
3. Ashkelon Sand Dunes National Park: The Ashkelon Sand Dunes, located near the Mediterranean coast, offer a unique opportunity for Sandboarding. While not a specific provider, this location is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike to enjoy sand surfing independently, here you need to bring your equipment, water, etc.
4. Dror Bamidbar: This is the best provider of the Negev Desert, he was the pioneer who established Sandboarding in Israel, the owner is a professional surfer and also a very humble man, he offers various tours and activities, including sand surfing experiences. Dror Bmidbar often combines sandboarding with other desert adventures, providing a comprehensive and memorable experience.
5. Galilee Kayaks: While primarily known for kayaking, Galilee Kayaks also offers sandboarding and sand surfing experiences in the Western Negev region near the Mediterranean coast.
Before choosing a sandboarding provider, consider factors such as the location of the sand surfing experience, the reputation of the provider, the condition and quality of the equipment, safety measures in place, and customer reviews. It's also a good idea to inquire about the level of difficulty and guidance provided for beginners, as well as any additional services offered by the provider.
As sandboarding continues to gain popularity in Israel, more providers may emerge. Be sure to check with local tourism websites, review platforms, and travel agencies for up-to-date information on the best sandboarding providers in Israel. Remember to prioritize safety and enjoy the thrill of gliding down the desert dunes like a true adventurer!
POPULAR QUESTIONS ABOUT SAND BOARDING IN ISRAEL
1. Does Israel have sand Dunes? Yes, Israel was mainly a desert when the country was established and today you can find amazing sand dunes between Ashkelon and Ashdod, Haluza, and the Negev Desert.
2. Are you able to sit on a sandboard? Boarding across or down a sand dune while standing on a board, either with both feet strapped in or while standing loose, without bindings, is known as "sandboarding," and it is a boardsport and extreme sport similar to snowboarding. Sandboarding can also be done while seated or while lying on one's back or stomach.
SANDBOARDING IN ISRAEL LET'S GO!
Sandboarding in Israel offers an exhilarating escape from the ordinary, immersing adventurers in the breathtaking beauty of the desert. The Negev Sands, Nof Zuqim, and the Ashkelon Sand Dunes stand as a testament to the diverse landscapes of Israel, waiting to be explored and conquered by eager sandboarders. Whether you're gliding down the sandy slopes for the first time or seeking to hone your skills, the thrill of sandboarding in the heart of the Middle East will undoubtedly leave you with a sense of awe and a taste for more desert adventures. So, heed the call of the dunes, embrace the winds of the desert, and ride like a true desert nomad on your sandboarding escapade in Israel.