Visit Atlit Detainee Camp with a tour guide
ATLIT DETENTION CAMP
On the western coast of Israel, just 19 km south of Haifa, during the 1930s and 1940s' the Atlit Detention Camp was a British detention center for illegal Jewish immigrants who were searching for refuge during the First and Second World War in Palestine, the land was under the British mandate and Jews had only a limited number of certificates(official permissions to immigrate) which they could use, all the rest were considered illegal, therefore they were caught and kept during 1 year. today Atlit is one of the most interesting visitor centers and a very important Jewish heritage site.
HISTORY OF THE ATLIT DETENTION CAMP MUSEUM
After the Nazis came to power, the Jewish population of Europe and North Africa began fleeing their homes and trying to escape the concentration camps, around 140,000 people decided to search for a place and leave the burning flames, Palestine was one of the options but controlled by the British mandate, the Jews who chose this direction were called "Maapilim" meaning, to immigrant the promised land.
Since the British provided only 10,000 permits for immigrants, Jews coming to Palestine without a permit were detained in camps like Atlit and kept as prisoners for a year, the picture was horrifying and quite similar to the concentration camps in Europe, nevertheless, no one was killed in the detention camps.
Atlit was operational by the British until 1945 and liberated by Jewish forces later. after 1945 the camp was used to provide Jews a possible stop while searching for a place to live in Palestine and later in Israel, this time it was controlled by the Jewish forces.
The site became a Jewish heritage center in 1988, today you can visit the Atlit detention camp and learn about the illegal Jewish immigration before Israel was established walk threw the original barracks, showers, and disinfecting cells, and watch a movie in a restored ship which brought the immigrants to the coast of Palestine.
Visiting the Atlit Detainee Camp Museum opening hours:
Adults: 32 NIS
Child and Seniors: 27 NIS
Tours in Israel
- 11 Days Jewish Heritage Tour through Israel
- 3-Day Jewish Heritage Tour of Israel: Unveiling the Rich Tapestry
- 5 Days Jewish Heritage Tour to Israel: A Journey Through History and Spirituality
- 7 Day Jewish Heritage Tour to Israel: A Holistic Journey
- 9-Day Jewish Heritage Tour Through Israel
- Christian Holy Land Guided Tour
- Classic Guided Israel Tour
- ISRAEL: OFFICIAL TOURING ENTRY FOR FAMILIES, SMALL GROUPS COVID 19
- Jewish Heritage Guided Tour
Daily Tours in Israel
- JERUSALEM AND BETHLEHEM TOUR
- BATTLE LEGACY TOUR
- BETHLEHEM AND JERICHO TOUR
- CAESAREA,HAIFA AND ACRE TOUR
- CALIBER 3 GUSH ETZION - ULTIMATE ISRAELI MILITARY ADVENTURE
- CHRISTIAN GALILEE TOUR
- CHRISTIAN JERUSALEM TOUR
- CITY OF DAVID AND UNDERGROUND JERUSALEM TOUR
- CLASSIC PRIVATE JERUSALEM TOUR
- DEAD SEA AND MASADA PRIVATE TOUR
- Dead Sea Relaxation Day Tour
- HAIFA, AKKO AND ROSH-HANIKRA TOUR
- Jerusalem Rooftops And Walls Private Tour: History From A Different Angle
- JORDAN RIVER BAPTISM SITE TOUR
- JUDEAN DESERT AREA TOUR
- Private Vip Tour Of The Israel Diamond Exchange Center in Ramat Gan
- RAMAT GAN SAFARI PARK TOUR
- SAFED AND GOLAN HEIGHTS TOUR
- TEL AVIV AND JAFFA PRIVATE TOUR